Magic, Witchcraft, Alchemy,
and the Occult in the Collections
of the Chapin Library
This list of primary and secondary (or reference) sources in the Chapin Library concerning magic, witchcraft, alchemy, and other “occult” subjects is not meant to be exhaustive. Those titles indicated with an asterisk (*) are available to consult in the Library’s temporary quarters at the Southworth Schoolhouse; the remainder are in storage and unavailable until the opening of the new Sawyer Library.
* Agrippa von Nettesheim, Heinrich Cornelius. De Occulta Philosophia. [Cologne], 1533.
Bovet, Richard. Pandaemonium. London: Printed for J. Walthoe, 1684.
* Burton, Robert. Anatomy of Melancholy. [Various editions, including all 17th-century editions. The 1621, 1624 editions are available at Southworth.]
* Calef, Robert. More Wonders of the Invisible World. London: Printed for Nath. Hillar and Joseph Collyer, 1700.
* Dee, John. A True and Faithful Relation of What Passed for Many Years between Dr. John Dee . . . and Some Spirits. London: Printed by D. Maxwell for T. Garthwait, 1659.
* Hale, John. A Modest Enquiry into the Nature of Witchcraft. Boston: Printed by B. Green and J. Allen for B. Eliot, 1702.
Heywood, Thomas. The Hierarchie of the Blessed Angells. London: Printed by Adam Islip, 1635.
* Holinshed, Raphael. Chronicles of England, Scotland, and Ireland. London: Imprinted for L. Harrison [etc.], 1577. 2 vols.
Howard, Henry, Earl of Northampton. A Defensative against the Poyson of Supposed Prophesies. London: Printed by John Charlewood, 1583.
Hutchinson, Francis. An Historical Essay Concerning Witchcraft. London: Printed for R. Knaplock and D. Midwinter, 1718.
* Hutchinson, Thomas. The History of the Province of Massachusetts Bay. 2nd ed., vol. 2. London: Printed by J. Smith for G. Kearsley and W. Davenhill, 1768.
* Hutchinson, Thomas. The Witchcraft Delusion of 1692. Notes by William Frederick Poole. Boston: Privately printed, 1870.
Iamblichus. De Mysteriis [Latin and Greek]. Oxford: E Theatro Sheldoniano, 1678.
* Institoris, Henricus, and Jakob Sprenger. Malleus Maleficarum. [Speyer: Peter Drach, before 15 April 1487]. The 1928 edition is also available at Southworth.
* James I, King of England. Daemonologie. Edinburgh: Printed by Robert Waldegrave, 1597.
Lambard, William. Eirenarcha. London: Printed by R. Newberry and H. Bynneman, 1582.
Le Loyer, Pierre. A Treatise of Specters. Translated by Z. Jones. London: Printed by V.S. for Mathew Lownes, 1605.
Mather, Cotton. Late Memorable Providences Relating to Witchcrafts and Possessions. London, Printed for Thomas Parkhurst, 1691.
* Mather, Cotton. Magnalia Christi. London: Printed for Thomas Parkhurst, 1702.
* Mather, Cotton. The Wonders of the Invisible World. London: Reprinted for John Dunton, 1693.
Mather, Increase. An Essay for the Recording of Illustrious Providences. Boston: Printed by Samuel Green and Joseph Browning, 1684.
* Michaelis, Sebastian. The Admirable Historie of the Possession and Conversion of a Penitent Woman: Seduced by a Magician That Made Her to Become a Witch. London: Imprinted for William Aspley, 1613.
Middleton, Thomas. A Tragi-Coomodie Called The Witch. London: Printed by J. Nichols, 1778.
Molitor, Ulrich. De Lamiis et Phitonicus Mulieribus. [Strassburg: Johann Prüss, not before 10 Jan. 1489].
* Naudé, Gabriel. Apologie pour tous les grands personnages . . . de magie. Paris: François Targa, 1625.
P., W. The History of Witches and Wizards. London: Printed for C. Hitch [et al., 1760?].
Potts, Thomas. The Wonderfull Discoveries of Witches in the Countie of Lancaster. London: Printed by W. Stansby for John Barnes, 1613.
Rusca, Antonius. De Inferno, et Statu Daemonum ante Mundi Exitium. Mediolani: Ex Collegii Ambrosiani Typographia, 1621.
* Scot, Reginald. The Discoverie of Witchcraft. London: Imprinted by William Brome, 1584. [And later editions.]
* Scott, Sir Walter. Letters on Demonology and Witchcraft. London: John Murray, 1830.
* Shadwell, Thomas. The Lancashire Witches and Tegue O Divelly the Irish Priest. London: Printed for John Starkey, 1682.
* Shakespeare, William. Macbeth. London: Printed by Isaac Iaggard and Ed. Blount, 1623. [And other editions.]
A True and Impartial Relation of the Informations against Three Witches. London: Printed by F. Collins, 1682.
Upham, Charles W. Lectures on Witchcraft: Comprising a History of the Delusion in Salem, in 1692. Boston: Carter, Hendee, and Babcock, 1831.
Upham, Charles W. Salem Witchcraft. Boston: Wiggin and Lunt, 1867. 2 vols.
* Verstegen, Richard [Richard Rowlands]. Theatrum Crudelitatum Haereticorum Nostri Temporis. Antwerp: Adrianum Huberti, 1587.
* Webster, John. The Displaying of Supposed Witchcraft. London: Printed by J.M., 1677.
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library. Alchemy and the Occult: A Catalogue of Books and Manuscripts from the Collection of Paul and Mary Mellon Given to Yale University Library. New Haven: Yale University Library, 1968–77. 4 vols.
Cornell University. Libraries. Witchcraft: Catalogue of the Witchcraft Collection in Cornell University Library. Introduction by Rossell Hope Robbins. Ed. by Martha J. Crowe. Millwood, N.Y.: KTO Press, 1977.
Duveen, Denis I. Bibliotheca Alchemica et Chemica: An Annotated Catalogue of Printed Books on Alchemy, Chemistry and Cognate Subjects. London: Dawson’s of Pall Mall, 1965.
Grillot de Givry, Émile Angelo. Witchcraft, Magic & Alchemy. Translated by J. Courtenay Locke. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1931.
Guazzo, Francesco Maria. Compendium Maleficarum, Collected in Three Books from Many Sources by Brother Francesco Maria Guazzo, Showing Iniquitous and Execrable Operations of Witches against the Human Race, and the Divine Remedies by Which They May Be Frustrated. Ed. with notes by the Rev. Montague Summers. Translated by E.A. Ashwin. London: J. Rodker, 1929.
Holmes, Thomas J. “Cotton Mather and His Writings on Witchcraft.” Papers of the Bibliographical Society of America, XVIII (1924), pt. 1–2, pp. 31–59.
Kittredge, George Lyman. Witchcraft in Old and New England. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press, 1929.
Klossowski de Rola, Stanislas. Alchemy: The Secret Art. London: Thames and Hudson, 1973.
Lennep, Jacques. Alchimie: contribution a l’histoire de l’art alchimique. 2nd ed. [Brussels]: Credit communal, 1985.
Pritchard, Alan. Alchemy: A Bibliography of English-Language Writings. London and Boston: Routledge & Kegan Paul and the Library Association, 1980.
* Records of Salem Witchcraft. Roxbury, Mass.: Privately printed for W. Elliot Woodward, 1864. 2 vols.
Réville, Albert. The Devil: His Origin, Greatness and Decadence. London: Williams and Norgate, 1871.
* Robbins, Rossell Hope. The Encyclopedia of Witchcraft and Demonology. New York: Crown, 1959.
Seaton, Ethel. “Richard Galis and the Witches of Windsor.” The Library, 4th ser., XVIII (1937), pp. 268–78.
Les sorcières dans les Pays-Bas meridionaux: XVIe–XVIIe siècles. Coordination, Erik Aerts et Maurits Wynants; avec la collaboration de Raymond Doms, Marie-Sylvie Dupont-Bouchat, Jos Monballyu. Brussels: Archives générales du Royaume, 1989.
Young, James. Bibliotheca Chemica: A Catalogue of the Alchemical, Chemical and Pharmaceutical Books in the Collection of the Late James Young. Glasgow: J. Maclehose and Sons, 1906. 2 vols.
Yve-Plessis, Robert. Essai d’une bibliographie francaise methodique et raisonnee de la sorcellerie et de la possession demoniaque. Geneva: Slatkine Reprints, 1970.